Monday, May 28, 2007

Curriculum Fever

I have it... curriculum fever. I am thinking of next year, and I am planning all these great things for my dds to do. We are going to be schooling through most of the summer, but I want to be ahead of things for fall. Okay, so do you want to know what I am considering? I don't care if you do or don't, I want to write it all down anyway...

Science:
NOEO. It is this really cool program that uses living books, and The Young Scientist Club experiments. It works great with a Classical or Charlotte Mason style education, a combination of which I am patterning Shade Tree Academy after. I am debating on whether to buy all the books, or use the library. I have found most of the books at the library, but many would have to be ordered from another library, and that can take a long time... sometimes weeks. And there is a limited amount of time that I can use the book, especially if there is a hold on it. I would still have to buy a few of the books, the teacher's manual, and the experiments. Not sure I will be saving enough money to make it worth my while. Humph! ($173.38 max)

Grammar:
I love the grammar component of Spell to Write and Read. It has served us well so far, but I fear that older dd needs a little more for 3rd grade, so I am considering "A First Book of Sentence Diagramming". It looks like it would cover the basics of sentence structure, and parts of speech. Once that has been mastered we might look into a writing program for the future, but that's down the road, so I better slow down. ($15)

Arithmetic:
Of course we will continue to use Math U See. It is working well for us, as I am learning how to teach one of my weaker subjects. Empowering, this job of mothering is.($28)

History:
I need to find the next book in The Story of the World Series. We are only half way through Ancient History. I would like to be able to start The Middle Ages in the fall. Better get on the stick, as they say here in the south.($45)

Discipline:
I would like to purchase some posters from Doorposts. They offer scriptural based posters that will help me to be consistent, and the kids will know what to expect for certain offenses. Cool stuff and a cool website.($18-24 depending on how many I buy)

Bible:
Of course we will continue to read the Bible, and memorize Scripture. I haven't really looked for a Bible Study for the girls. We have several resources at home. I might like to find something, though that would be good for the 3rd grader. Please comment with recommendations!

Yikes! I have spent $285 in my wish list. Maybe I should share this post with all the relatives who would like to help our little homeschool out ;-) I am sure there's more that I haven't mentioned... Anyway, I have some goals to work toward. It feels good to have this all in one place.

No comments: