Saturday, April 12, 2008

Keeping the kids room clean: Part 2

It's not happening! I have removed all but 4 stuffed animals and the outside toys (balls, jump ropes, etc.). Their room is still a mess! They refuse to put away dirty laundry, or put books back in the office. They keep their bed unmade, and ignore me when I speak. (Okay, that last one goes beyond a clean room, but I feel better having stated it.) The problem is bad habits. Charlotte Mason educators are very familiar with the idea of habits. My previous post about Character Training has my answer. I must commit to do my part in growing good family and individual habits in our house.

Speaking from experience, and a love for the Fly Lady, I can say that creating lasting good habits is vital to a happy life. God created us so that we could run on autopilot. When properly programmed we are getting the necessary things done without thinking about them. But when we run on autopilot with poor programming, that is where the problems begin. Old habits die hard. It is so much easier to start with a good habit than it is to have to change a bad one. But in order to give my children a strong habitual foundation, I must have good habits myself! The changes have to start with me.

Okay, I am going to pray harder, and submit more. I know I cannot do this myself. I need divine guidance. As for keeping the room clean: hopefully the girls and I can create habits that will make that a reality. Until then, the toys will stay held up in the attic to be earned back one at a time.

1 comment:

ajrenae said...

Check out my most recent post. Although it doesn't deal with orderliness, that one is coming soon! I can totally relate to your struggle. It's humbling to realize that often the one that needs the most "habits training" is ourself.